Walter Robbs Callahan & Pierce Architects, PA
New Atlantic was selected as the general contractor, along with Walter Robbs Callahan & Pierce Architects, PA, to restore and renovate the 3-story building.
The Union Station is a local historic landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was constructed in 1926 as a train station to serve passengers on the Southern, Norfolk, Western, and Winston-Salem southbound railways. The train lines formed a joint corporation to construct the station, hence the “Union” in Union Station. Passenger service to the station ceased in 1970. The building was sold to a car repair business, and used in that capacity until 2012.
The 93-year-old building has been restored to the historic grandeur as the original train station. The City owns the building and plans to use it for various administrative functions along with future tenant and museum spaces. Specialty work included restoration of marble, terrazzo, quarry tile, porcelain tile, and cabinetry, along with new LED light fixtures that were fabricated to resemble the original. The existing electrical and plumbing systems were replaced. New elevator, mechanical, and fire sprinkler and alarm systems were retrofitted into the building. New cast iron entrances were built to replace the original entrances that were removed over 40 years ago. This required careful coordination between cast iron, window frames, doors, and glass sizes for each opening. In addition, existing window frames were restored and Pilkington Spacia vacuum insulated glass from Japan was installed making this the second installation in the United States.